I am technology coordinator at Osceola Middle School and we are finishing our 3rd year in a 1 to 1 laptop project. Our school has an enrollment of 1200 students and each one of them carries a laptop to classes. Because of insurance costs and the inability to filter the internet when students are home, laptops are stored in carts overnight located in the 7th period classrooms. We are very proud of the success of this monumental endeavor. There have been some challenges that, through teamwork, have been overcome. I would like to get your input, thoughts, experiences, and questions on 1 to 1 computing in the classroom. Include both negative and positive, please.
Here are some questions to consider when posting to this blog.
1) What do you see as the pros and cons of a 1 to 1 project?
2) How does 1 to 1 computing change methods of teaching?
3) Is the financial cost, including support, worth this 21st century student immersion into technology?
4) How do you measure program success? I find that many of the successes cannot be measured but are intrinsic.
5) If you have participated in a 1 to 1 laptop program, what would you tell someone who is anticipating the implementation of a similar program?
Thank you for participating in the blog. Here is a link for our school virtual tour iso you can visit us: Osceola Middle School Tour